Do you think you might have the flu? If you’re suffering from flu-like symptoms, you’re probably pretty miserable right now. With coughing, sore throat, runny nose, muscle aches, headaches, fatigue, and sometimes fever, influenza can really knock a person out. But what can you do? Are there flu treatments that can help?
The most effective flu treatment is an antiviral medication, like Tamiflu. Because the flu is a virus, antiviral medications can decrease the severity of your symptoms as well as the length of time you’re sick. However, in order for an antiviral medication to work, you have to take it within two days of the start of your symptoms. If you think you may have the flu, get to your primary care physician or an urgent care clinic as quickly as you can.
If you can’t see a doctor that quickly, here are some ways you can treat your flu symptoms at home.
- Get some rest. When you’re sick, you need plenty of rest to allow your body to fight the flu. Aside from getting to a doctor quickly for antiviral medication, one of the best things you can do to fight the flu is to stay home and rest.
- Stay hydrated. Especially if you have a fever, you’re likely to get dehydrated when you have the flu. Drink plenty of water and other liquids to make sure you stay well-hydrated.
- Isolate yourself. The flu is very contagious, which is another good reason to stay home if you have it. Flu viruses spread through airborne droplets, so stay away from other people when you’re sick. You’d hate to start feeling better and realize you’d infected your family or friends!
- Reduce your fever. A fever can make you miserable, hot and sweaty, yet shivering. Rest and fluids are helpful in reducing a fever, but it also helps to take a fever reducer like acetaminophen to help alleviate fever symptoms while also reducing pain.
- Take over the counter medications. There are medications formulated to relieve symptoms like sore throat, aches and pains, chest congestion, cough, and nasal/sinus congestion. Taking these won’t cure the flu, but it will make you feel more comfortable while you wait for the illness to end.
To keep from getting the flu next year, contact Total Point Urgent Care about getting your flu shot. The goal of Total Point Urgent Care is to be a convenient healthcare resource for our community. Providing immediate medical care at a fraction of the cost of an emergency room, our neighborhood clinics offer warm, efficient, personalized care. At our locations in Texas and Arizona, our on-site technology and services include urgent care, primary care, specialty care, routine checkups, flu shots and other vaccinations, COVID-19 testing, and onsite lab and x rays. We accept urgent care walk-ins, and soon, we’ll even offer virtual visits so that our patients can choose telecare instead of risking a trip to the clinic. For convenient medical care, visit one of our locations or contact us through our website.